Health benefits of swimming
Swimming is a great work out because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water. Swimming is a all round activity because it:
- Keeps your heart rate up but take some of the impact stress off your body.
- Build endurance muscles strength and cardiovascular fitness.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight, heathy heart and lungs.
- Tones muscles and builds strength.
- Provides and all over body work out as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
- Being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise.
- Alleviating stress.
- Improving coordination, balance and posture.
- Improving flexibility.
- Providing good low impact therapy for some injuries and conditions.
- Providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day.
Being available in many places you can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams, rivers. Make sure that the environment you choose to swim in is safe.
Some general tips for swimming:
Before you dive in :
Make sure you know how to swim.
Choose a safe environment.
Warm up and stretch your muscles and joints before entering the water.
Have plenty of fluids on hand and drink regularly.
Do not over do it if you are just starting out.
See your doctor if you have not exercised for a long time.